Fields of interest:
- igneous, metamorphic, and ore-forming processes;
- igneous phase equilibria during mantle melting and magma evolution;
- major element, trace element and isotope geochemistry;
- quantitative petrology and geochemistry of mantle and mantle-derived
- mantle melting dynamics and ocean crust formation;
- crust-mantle recycling;
- structure, composition and origin of lithospheric mantle (continental and oceanic);
- processes associated with mid-ocean ridges and subduction zones; seamount genesis;
- intra-plate volcanisms; and ophiolites;
- petrology and geochemistry of ultra-high pressure metamorphic rocks in zones of continental collision and oceanic lithosphere subduction.
- Initiation of subduction zones and global tectonics
S.G. Song, L. Su, Y.L. Niu, Y. Lai, L.F. Zhang:
CH4 inclusions in orogenic harzburgite: Evidence for reduced slab fluids and implication for redox melting in mantle wedge.
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol. 73, (2009), pp. 1737-1754
D.C. Zhu, X.X. Mo, Z.D. Zhao, Y.L. Niu, G.T. Pan, L.Q. Wang, Z.L. Liao:
Permian and Early Cretaceous tectonomagmatism in southern Tibet and Tethyan evolution: New perspectives.
Earth Sciences Frontiers Vol. 16(2), (2009), pp. 1-20
D.C. Zhu, S.L. Chung, X.X. Mo, Z.D. Zhao, Y.L. Niu, B. Song, Y.H. Yang:
The 132 Ma Comei–Bunbury large igneous province: Remnants identified in present-day SE Tibet and SW Australia.
Geology Vol. 37(7), (2009), pp. 583-586
D.C. Zhu, X.X. Mo, Y.L. Niu, Z.D. Zhao, L.Q. Wang, G.T. Pan, F.Y. Wu:
Zircon U-Pb dating and in-situ Hf isotopic analysis of Permian peraluminous granite in the Lhasa terrane, southern Tibet: Implications for Permian collisional orogeny and paleogeography.
Tectonophysics Vol. 469, (2009), pp. 48-60
X.X. Mo, Y.L. Niu, G.C. Dong, Z.D. Zhao, Z.Q. Hou, S. Zhou, S. Ke:
Contribution of syncollisional felsic magmatism to continental crust growth: A case study of the Paleogene Linzizong volcanic Succession in southern Tibet.
Chemical Geology Vol. 250, (2008), pp. 49-67
Y.L. Niu, M.J. O'Hara:
Global correlations of ocean ridge basalt chemistry with axial depth: A new perspective.
Journal of Petrology Vol. 49(4), (2008), pp. 633-664
Z.D. Zhao, X.X. Mo, C.S. Sun, D.C. Zhu, Y.L. Niu, G.C. Dong, S. Zhou, X. Dong,
Mantle xenoliths in southern Tibet: geochemistry and constraints for the nature of the mantle.
Acta Petrologica Sinica Vol. 24(2), (2008), pp. 193-202
The Origin of Alkaline Lavas.
Science Vol. 320, 2008, pp. 883-884
G.B. Zhang, S.G. Song, L.F. Zhang, Y.L. Niu:
The subducted oceanic crust within continental-type UHP metamorphic belt in the North Qaidam, NW China: Evidence from petrology, geochemistry and geochronologymsword.
Lithos Vol. 104(1-4), (2008), pp. 99-118
J.F. Deng, S.G. Su, Y.L. Niu, C. Liu, G.C. Zhao, S. Zhou, Z.X. Wu:
A Possible Model for the Lithospheric Thinning of North China Craton: Evidence from the Yanshanian (Jura -Cretaceous) Magmatism and Tectonic Deformation.
Lithos Vol. 96(1-2), (2007), pp. 22-35.